Thursday, February 9, 2012

10 questions answered by author Mary S. Palmer

I'd like to answer your ten questions. My book, TIME WILL TELL is science-fiction. It is scheduled for release by Musa Publishing Co. Mrch 9, 2012.
 
1) A short paragraph on what you write about and the genre, please? (don't forget your web page address!) In TIME WILL TELL, earthling Mona Stewart finds herself in another world of warring factions. One group, the Svarians, holds the key to cures for fatal diseases and immortality. In the inner space of outer space, Mona discovers that living almost forever in idleness, and without challenges, is much worse that having too much to do. The only reprieve from boredom for the Svarions is outwitting their enemy, the Aliens.
 
2)  What is a typical writing session like, in 300 characters or fewer? A typical writing session for me may be several hours long. When I begin to develop plots or characters, I become intensely involved and I don't stop writing till I've used all of my ideas. Otherwise, they're gone forever.
 
3)  Men: boxers or briefs? Women: underwire or banded? (apparently people want to know this!)Underwire (This question surprises me because I don't see how it's relative to writing). [note from Telling Tales: this was just for fun. A humorous call out to the young person who very famously asked The President of The United States Bill Clinton "Boxers or briefs?" taking him totally off kilter.]

4)  If you use a pen name, why?  If you don't, do you worry about stalkers? I use my real name. I don't worry about stalkers. People can find out who you are anyhow.
 
5)  What is the oddest thing about your writing or the way you write? The oddest thing about the way I write is what I write about. I like to jump genres. I've written and published biographies, mysteries, crime stories, historical screenplays, poetry and now, science fiction.
 
6)  Give us a glimpse into how you choose the names of your chracters, please? I try to choose characters' names that are not too common but not difficult to remember, unless I want a name that is allegorical.
 
7)  Any thoughts on staying healthy while pursuing such a sedentary career? Since I do sit at a computer a lot, I try to get exercise. Walking is my favorite. I have a treadmill and make it a habit to walk around the house whenever I talk on the phone. I also love to travel. I've been to all 50 U.S. states and to every continent except Antarctica. When I take trips, I walk and only take taxis when absolutely necessary.
 
8) Dogs or cats, and why? (don't say "neither" because even if you don't have one, choosing is informative!)I don't currently have a dog or a cat. I prefer dogs but I don't feel I have enough time to spend with one right now.
 
9)  If you research, what's your method?  If you don't, how do you get away with that? When I research, I exhaust every avenue. I use primary sources whenever possible, such as contacting a person who knows about an event or place or reading old letters. I was writing about Johnny Reb once and found letters from Confederate soldiers in a museum to quote from. I feel that setting should be authentic and often travel to places to see exactly what is growing there or how the sidewalks are laid out or what statues are in a particular park. It goes without saying that I also use the internet.
 
10)  What is the most interesting or outrageous comment you've heard/read about your writing? I think the most outrageous comment anyone made about my writing was that they didn't like it "because it didn't have a happy ending."
 
 
I have another book entitled TO CATCH A FISH, coauthored with David Wilton, which is scheduled for release April 6, 2012. If you like, I can send information on it a little later.
 
Mary S. Palmer

No comments: