Friday, February 3, 2012

Ten questions answered by Sara Daniel!

I love that Sara uses an Alphasmart - a tool that should get far more credit.

Ten Questions for Authors:

1) A short paragraph on what you write about and the genre, please? (don't forget your web page address!)
I write contemporary romance fiction--irresistible romance with captivating family drama.  Not only do I aim to entertain, I also want to give people hope and a belief that everything can and will turn out happily ever after.  So, if you're looking for a warm fuzzy feeling and hoping to come away a little less cynical about the world, visit my website at www.SaraDaniel.com.

2) What is a typical writing session like, in 300 characters or fewer?
I sit in front of the computer and catch up on my email and social media with a cup of coffee.  Then I open my writing file and stare at the screen.  I write for a while, then wander the house, reheat my coffee and find some food.  I write some more, rewarm the coffee, get another snack, etc., etc.

3) Men: boxers or briefs? Women: underwire or banded? (apparently people want to know this!)
Who wants to know this???  Okay, I admit to being totally curious about the boxers/briefs quandary, but that's different, right?

4) If you use a pen name, why? If you don't, do you worry about stalkers?
I don't use a pen name, except for my children's books to avoid confusion.  But honestly, with the internet, I'm convinced anyone can find anyone if they really try hard enough.  And I'm too transparent to keep my name a secret.

5) What is the oddest thing about your writing or the way you write?
I've found lately that I'm most productive sitting at my children's extracurricular activities with my AlphaSmart.  Yes, I really still use one.  There are no email or internet distractions, and the screen only shows four lines of text, so it's too small to edit.  I can only write.  So I do!

6) Give us a glimpse into how you choose the names of your characters, please?
I think about the type of person my character is supposed to be.  If a name doesn't pop into my head, I pull out "The Baby Name Survey Book:  What People Think about Your Baby's Name" and use that as my Bible.  And I work very hard to make sure I use a different letter to start each name, and they don't rhyme or end the same or anything corny like that.

7) Any thoughts on staying healthy while pursuing such a sedentary career?
Sometimes I'm really good about taking a break to exercise.  Lately, not so much.  But my eyes definitely need a rest from staring at the computer screen.  When I take time to exercise, I also free up my brain to consciously think of nothing and let my muse start mulling over fresh ideas.

8) Dogs or cats, and why? (don't say "neither" because even if you don't have one, choosing is informative! )
Cats.  We have one cat, and I like that she's around but does her own thing.  I feed her and scoop her litter, but I can leave for the weekend without thinking twice about leaving her alone.  I have enough demands on my time, and frankly, dogs and I have never mixed well.

9) If you research, what's your method? If you don't, how do you get away with that?
If I could get away without researching, I would!  It's the reason I've never written a historical.  I'd have to do a massive amount of research to get the details right.  What I need to learn for my contemporaries is usually only a keystroke away on the internet.

10) What is the most interesting or outrageous comment you've heard/read about your writing?
My grandmother constantly laments that she can't get my books for her friends because they have -- gasp! -- love scenes in them.  Fortunately, my other grandmother was a voracious reader of romance and had no such qualms about sharing my books with her friends. 

www.SaraDaniel.com
www.facebook.com/SaraDanielSaraShafer
www.facebook.com/SaraShaferDaniel
www.twitter.com/SSaraDaniel

No comments: