Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ten Questions Answered by Author Stephanie Campbell

I'm happy to welcome Stephanie Campbell to my blog. I particularly love her answer to the final question! Too funny!

I'm Stephanie Campbell, the author of Dragon Night at Musa publishing. Thank you so much for providing us the opportunity to be interviewed! I have also enclosed a picture, just in case.
 
1) A short paragraph on what you write about and the genre, please? (don't forget your web page address!)
I got my first book published at the age of seventeen. Now, I am the author of multiple novels with many more on the way for this upcoming year. I mostly write YA novels in all genres, but I’ve written in pretty much every genre. One of the reasons why I became a writer is so that I can experience different types of situations that I can’t in real life.
http://stephaniecampbellreleases.weebly.com/
 
2) What is a typical writing session like, in 300 characters or fewer?
I actually do different things, so a “writing session” for me is hard to define. I am very much a creature of habit. I sit down and I re-read the last two paragraphs of what I was working on last to get my scheme. I then pick up the scene in my head again. Sometimes I wonder if other writers see their work in the same way—for example, I actually see my scene. I barely notice that I’m actually typing. I edit my work at a different time.
 
3) Men: boxers or briefs? Women: underwire or banded? (apparently people want to know this!)
Both. I run in the morning and use a banded bra to keep from chafing. I swap out for an underwire later. I’ve been stabbed by underwire bras a few times, though. They make me nervous.
 
4) If you use a pen name, why? If you don't, do you worry about stalkers?
I have different pen names. I use them to separate writing interests for my readers. People expect Stephanie Campbell to write YA. It’s more simple that way. I suppose I’m worried about stalkers—I have a handful to speak of right now. I once had a set of anonymous letters on my doorstep. You have no idea how chilling that is.
 
5) What is the oddest thing about your writing or the way you write?
I take on the personality traits of my book characters. If my character is angry, so am I. The more intense the scene, the more intense my personality gets in real life. I don’t run around stabbing people, but people have noticed the changes in my personality. I guess I don’t have a line between my work and reality. You can’t take the writer out of me.
 
6) Give us a glimpse into how you choose the names of your characters, please?
I have a lovely book of character names that has meanings. If I write about a mean, vindictive character, I will find a name that means mean and vindictive.
 
7) Any thoughts on staying healthy while pursuing such a sedentary career?
I run every morning. I stand ten minutes out of every hour. When my writing hours are done, I stay on my feet. I am actually not that sedentary. I even write on my dresser so I can stand up.
 
8) Dogs or cats, and why? (don't say "neither" because even if you don't have one, choosing is informative!)
I prefer dogs, but I like cats. I like it because a dog wants to cuddle and get hugs. (At least my dogs do.) They also remind me that there is a life outside of my office.
 
9) If you research, what's your method? If you don't, how do you get away with that?
The internet is such a wonderful thing. If I have an idea, then I get a piece of paper and write a school-style report. I use that to keep my book up to par.
 
10) What is the most interesting or outrageous comment you've heard/read about your writing?
Someone once told me that my books made them hungry…I still can’t figure out why. I haven’t written a single book about food.

1 comment:

Eleni Konstantine said...

Great interview, ladies. LOL re the underwire bras - yep, they can be dangerous.